I’m a little bit behind on my Spring Palette Challenge. I took a detour from it last week to work on a special sewing project that I’ll be telling you more about this week. But on Sunday I finally had a chance to get some photos of me in my new Daisy Dress!
The fabric is a linen and silk blend, which means it does wrinkle, but I think (or hope) the look is delightfully rumpled and linen-y. It’s sheer but stiff, and looks rather like organza at a distance. I lined it with plain yellow cotton. The daisy trim is vintage.
I created an insertion of the daisies towards the hem of the skirt, then cut apart the trim and sewed the individual daisies onto the collar flounce. I feel absolutely ready for Spring now.
The only thing I regret about this dress is that I sewed the flounce into the center back zipper. It looks neat and pretty that way, but I realized only afterwards that I can’t wear a cardigan with it and have the flounce over the cardigan. I should have made it more like a collar. Oh well, live and learn!
I love the shape of the flounce. It’s not so ruffly that it looks ridiculous, but it is definitely feminine and the perfect length.
And here’s the skirt insertion. This took a fair bit of hand basting, but I love the result.
The last thing I have to make for my challenge is some shorts! I’m not sweating it, though. If it’s not done this week, I’ll just have to file an extension on this one.