I love photo shoots. They’re kind of like planning a big party. Lots of work and care, plenty of moving parts, people to coordinate, and tons of excitement and energy on the big day. I think the video above pretty much sums it up.
I’m really a lucky lady, first of all because I was able to art direct the photo shoots for my book and collaborate with the talented people I love working with. I could choose a diverse group of models (in fact, I was encouraged to), coordinate everything the way I wanted, and give the book the same look my patterns have. Not only that, but I had tons of friends helping out.
Here’s me with the dopiest possible look on my face while Lisa directs me:
Props are a big part of any photo shoot, and this is a small sampling of the tables and tables of props we’d assembled. Chelsea sourced the yellow wallpaper and applied it to the wall.
Hair and makeup was by the wonderful Kassandra of The Ginger Suite Salon. She is always amazing.
I hope you enjoyed these little peeks! Believe it or not, this was actually only day one of shooting, though it was the most intense. The second day and third days were of just sewing props without models, and then I had an entire week of shooting step-by-step photos in Ohio with the publisher. Oh yes, there were a lot of photos taken.
I’m hoping to share a little more soon about the writing process, if you all are interested in how things came together. What do you think?
Some other posts you may be interested in:
- Announcing the Colette Sewing Handbook: All about the book and its concept.
- How the book was hatched: The story of the beginnings of the book, if you’re interested in more behind the scenes type stuff.
- Taffy and Meringue patterns: A preview of a couple of separates patterns from the book.
- The Pastille pattern: More about the pastille dress, the peach dress Jade wears in the photos above.
- The Truffle and Licorice dresses: And finally, a preview of the two remaining dresses from the book.