This week I found a bunch of inspiring little videos. From this clip of the film “Desulo” which tells the beautiful story of traditional dress in Sardinia, to Mort and Ginny Lidner’s fashionable love story. There’s even a book that will grow into a tree when planted! Enjoy reading—or watching—and be sure to leave your thoughts for discussion in the comments below.
Weekend Reading Discussion:
- The Business of the Fashion Competition: Have you ever watched Project Runway and wanted to show off your own creations? The role of the fashion competition has changed the way that many designers approach creating their collections, and seems to have a lasting effect on brands. Would you ever join a fashion competition?
On shooting sub-cultures and visual self-expression: Photographer, Chris Saunders, discusses his recent project photographing Pantsula, a vibrant dance heavily featuring fashion, in South Africa. As a white man photographing subcultures that are mostly invisible to mainstream media, he often has to reflect on his privilege as much as his purpose. When you look at portraits or fashion photography, do ever stop to consider the photographer’s relationship with the subject?
And here are a few more reads:
- Image above from Adored Vintage: Fashion from Sweden in the 1930s and 1940s
- Planning a Spring Wardrobe, from Style Maker Fabrics
- Traditional costume in everyday life : Why the fashion film can change the way we think about fashion
- Photography That Captured America’s ‘Outsiders’. This looks like it will be a great book!
- Malaysian popstar, Yuna, on Fashion, Race, Modesty, and Not Showing Her Hair
- Join the conversation! Do you think it’s easier to connect with women who craft?
- Watch: “Tree Book Tree” — It’s a book that you can plant and then grow into a tree!
- Advanced Style shared their first Advanced Love short film! Advanced Love: Mort and Ginny Linder
- Everyone meet Katie, our new Producer!
For more links every week, you can follow us on Twitter, where we’re always posting interesting tidbits and discussions.