Have you guys heard of Sprout?
Sprout boasts a service that combines custom printed fabric and indie patterns. Pretty cool, right? We teamed up with Sprout to share some of our most popular designs on this innovative new platform. The Colette shop on Sprout currently features Myrtle, Laurel, Ginger, and Negroni. Have you always dreamed of a Negroni with a cactus print, or a Laurel covered in pugs? If the answer is yes, then Sprout may be just right for you!
How it works…
Sprout Patterns is a new service offered by Spoonflower that allows you to print indie sewing patterns directly on the Spoonflower fabric of your choice.
The process is really easy and fun. You simply choose your sewing pattern from their collection of indie patterns. You can choose from designers like By Hand London, Grainline, and Hey June Handmade. Sprout also has some really cute patterns for the kiddos, as well as accessories.
Then, pick your fabric from Spoonflower’s extensive library. This part was the most fun. Want a Myrtle Dress with cats on it? You can choose from 72 pages of cat prints. Or maybe your tastes are more classic? Choose from 100 pages of floral designs ranging from colorful to subtle.
From there, you choose your substrate, size, and view your finished project on a 3-D model. Easy!
Less than two weeks later our package arrived. Taylor and I both chose to make the Myrtle Dress. This dress offers a very forgiving fit, especially when made from a knit. Taylor chose to work with the Organic Cotton Knit, while I chose the Modern Jersey, which has a hand very similar to rayon jersey.
- I like the level of customization available with Sprout. There are so many print options!
Fabric shrinkage is built into the pattern. So don’t be afraid to wash your fabric.
The organic cotton has little recovery. Make sure to avoid stretching as you sew! The heavily printed nature of my fabric also caused small blemishes on my fabric when i had to seam rip. Make sure to keep this in mind when choosing a heavily printed fabric.
When you order, you get our full PDF instructions and all pattern pieces, including all sizes to help with alterations.
- I was super impressed with the quality of the printing. The colors and blacks in my print are bold and saturated even after washing.
- I liked that I had the ability to move the fabric around so that I had the option of choosing my pattern placement. This was especially key with such a large scale print. I like to avoid nipple flowers whenever possible.
- Initially I was wary of the inability to customize fit, especially since I ALWAYS have to do a full bust adjustment. Choosing a knit pattern helped me to circumnavigate this issue. I seriously love my Myrtle.
- The seam allowance is included, and white lines are guides for cutting. I can see this being a great feature for those with less than perfect vision.
- Small alterations are possible, especially at the waist, hips, and arms.
You can get 20% off products from the Colette/Sprout shop for 1 week with the code: COLETTELOVE