Once you’ve got the hang of sewing invisible zippers, you may wonder what the best way is of attaching a facing or a lining to it. This method is machine sewn and the seam allowance is tucked under leaving a clean, finished look. Our Ginger skirt pattern uses a variation on this technique, so you could use either method for the skirt.
1. Install the zipper. Insert invisible zipper using our invisible zipper tutorial.
2. Sew the facing along the waistline. To do this, first open the zipper. Place the right side of the facing down against the right side of the fabric. Stitch, making sure to sew to the end, over the top of the zipper.
3. Sew along the zipper. Use a zipper foot to sew down the side of the zipper.
4. Do the other side in the same way. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the other side of the facing.
5. Clip the seam allowance. Grade seam down at the corner.
6. Turn out and press. Use a point turner (check out our handy point turner tutorial!) to turn the point. And you’re done!
Note: if you want to add a hook & eye closure, simply lower the zipper to allow sewing space for it.
Related posts you might be interested in: