One of my goals for the new year is to take more photos with my film camera and share them here.
Of course, a week after I set this goal, my trusty 35mm Canon FTB broke. With my film stuck inside.
While that’s being repaired, I thought I’d share some iPhone photos from our recent #coletteatthecoast team offsite! We packed up the office for a couple days and headed out to Rockaway Beach, where we enjoyed unseasonably warm weather, gorgeous views of the ocean, a hot tub, and plenty of brainstorming.
This is the first time I’ve ever done an annual planning offsite, and it was a pretty amazing experience.
We spent a day generating tons of ideas for things we could work on in the next year, then whittled that list down further and further until we had just five main initiatives for 2016.
What really impressed me is that, even though many of the ideas we had to choose from were exciting, creative, sexy projects, the team ended up zeroing in on the truly practical, important things that will actually help us stay true to our mission.
So here’s an idea of what we’re focusing on in 2016:
- Learn more about our customers. As we’ve grown from a few people to 9 people, keeping everyone focused on who our true customers are and what they need has become more even more important. We’re planning to do some surveys, interviews, and more to really get at this.
- Update our visuals and branding. Colette is now 7 years old, and our look and feel has morphed unevenly. It’s a little bit of a hodgepodge, and Taylor is working to whip it all back into shape with some refreshes here and there to bring things up to date.
- Improve our processes. Project management has always been a bit ground-up here, but we’re working on getting things running more efficiently, starting with our pattern development process.
- Grow Seamwork. We’d like to increase the number of subscribers to Seamwork, and the main way we want to do that is by adding more and more value, especially for long term subscribers. We’ve got a ton of ideas for adding even more fun stuff.
- Make the Seamwork site more interactive. Right now, Seamwork is a pretty one-way street in terms of interaction and feedback. We’d like to build some new features that give people a chance to connect and have fun on the site this year.
So that’s what 2016 has in store for us. We’re excited to work for you guys, it’s going to be hard to top 2015, but I think 2016 is going to be even more amazing with these ladies (and Kenn).
In case you missed it, here are some of the other goings on lately:
- Seamwork: The Body Issue: Celebrate that body of yours this month!
- Join the Phoebe Sewalong: Our friend Devon is teaching this sewalong right now! It’s not too late to join!
- 25,000 instagram followers! Thank you guys for all your love, support, and insta silliness!
- We’ve got a new book club: Kat is leading us on a discussion of books for sewists every month, check it out and join the discussion!
- January Inspiration: Taylor shares what’s inspired her this month.
- What does 2016 have in store for your wardrobe? asks Meg. Join the conversation.
- A Mesa dress with sequins! Love this version of a favorite Seamwork pattern.
- Sprout patterns: Haley and Taylor reveal the Myrtles they made using this innovative service – the pattern comes pre-printed on the fabric!
- Tried and true: What are your TNTs? Meg shares one of hers.
- We’re hiring! We’re looking for a sample sewer in Portland!
What would you like to see more of in 2016 from Team Colette?