I’m a little obsessed lately with very simple vintage blouses. You know the type: they’re from the 1940s, have cap sleeves, and they button up the back. I have several old patterns and I’ve been collecting all sorts of vintage novelty prints to make them in (but not much time to make them).
I was making this one up in this rather loud pink silk I’ve had sitting around for a while. I had jut enough to make this blouse and the frugal side of me really gets a thrill out of that. I love being able to throw the scraps away after sewing and not feel bad about it.
The pattern called for finishing the neckline with bias tape, so I made some just like in the bias tape tutorial. But I had some bias tape leftover, so I thought it would be cute to make some bows.
These are very easy to make. Just take your bias tape, fold in half,press, and stitch close the the edge. Cut it into short lengths and tie them in bows. To finish the ends of the bows, I tied the raw ends into knots and trimmed the excess. I got this idea from some bows on a vintage dress, and I really love the way it looks.
I placed one bow at the throat, and the rest down the back! I just sewed in snaps rather than buttons, and sewed the bows on the outside at each snap. I think this is a very sweet alternative to proper buttons!